Rather than buy a pricey face scrub in a single use plastic container, why not whip up your own homemade face scrub with ingredients from the pantry?
It took all of 5 minutes to make this scrub, and I can’t wait to start exfoliating! You might be tempted to go for a bigger batch, but because this is food-based you want smaller batches that you replace a bit more frequently. Better to make this once a week or so than to realize that your face scrub is spoilt, right?
- 1/4 Oatmeal (I used quick oats, but if you use whole rolled oats, you’ll want to run them through the food processor to break them up a bit. You just want them ground up coarsely, so they’ll absorb the honey and the oils.)
- 2 table spoon honey
- 10 drops of tea tree and lavender essential oil blend (or 5 drops each, if you don’t have a blended oil)
1. In a small glass jar, combine the oats and honey, stirring to combine them really well. Be patient when you’re mixing – it takes a few minutes of stirring for the oats to absorb the moisture.
2. Drop the oil into the jar, and stir again to combine really well.
3. Apply the scrub in the shower after you wash your face, rubbing in a circular motion with your fingers or a damp wash cloth.
The beauty of this homemade face scrub is that you can really have fun with the substitutions. Don’t have oatmeal handy? Try coffee grounds or cornmeal instead! Allergic to lavender? Leave it out or substitute with another essential oil. The beauty of lavender and tea tree is that they have antiseptic properties, which helps kill the bacteria that often cause breakouts and helps keep the scrub from spoiling. Other oils with antiseptic properties are: peppermint, lemon, oregano, geranium, and thyme. Mix things up and have fun with it!